Administration / Security Positions
Indo-American Heritage Museum
Chicago, Illinois, USA
INDO-AMERICAN HERITAGE MUSEUM www.iahmuseum.org
The Indo-American Heritage Museum (IAHM), an inclusive, secular institution founded in Chicago in 2008 to preserve the history of Indian Americans and to promote understanding of their heritage, diversity, and culture seeks a creative, energetic, and well organized Museum Coordinator.
In a part-time position with potential for full-time employment contingent on funding, the Museum Coordinator will provide administrative and organizational support to Board Members and volunteers who plan and execute projects and programs designed to engage a large and diverse population. Major responsibilities include coordinating committee activities for exhibitions, collection management, and programs. The current focus is to augment and promote the Smithsonian’s traveling exhibition Beyond Bollywood: Indian Americans Shape the Nation scheduled to open July 29, 2017 at the Field Museum’s Marae Gallery.
The Museum Coordinator will be expected to:
- Work with all Board Members as and when needed for planning, marketing, conducting, and evaluating activities including fund-raising
- Submit monthly written updates of staff activity to the Board President for distribution to board members
- Maintain records of IAHM events and meetings of IAHM Board and Committees
- Utilize Past Perfect for Collections Management/documentation
- Compile information for Data Project
- Solicit professional assistance for activities such as graphic design and grant writing
- Produce donor acknowledgements
- Maintain data base
- Utilize social media with links to IAHM website
- Research grant opportunities as well as individual donor prospects
- Upload IAHM records including committee reports to an IAHM folder accessible to all Board Members
- Ease in collaborating with a variety of people
- Ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Organizational skills and attention to detail including meeting budget parameters
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Past Perfect, Wordpress, Constant Contact, and Social Media
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in museum studies, non-profit or arts management, humanities, or related subject
- Paid, volunteer, or intern experience:
- Collaborating with colleagues/teamwork
- Communication management via social media, website, etc.
- Familiarity with cultural heritage & ethnic history of Indian Americans
The position requires flexibility for daytime, weekend, and evening obligations averaging about 20 hours weekly. Much of the work must be done remotely utilizing IAHM’s computer with phone access while IAHM secures office and presentation space.
Flexible schedule with average 20 hours per week.
Salary commensurate with experience: $17.00-$22.00 per hour.
Send letter of interest, current resume, and names, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references to:
Board of Trustees
Indo-American Heritage Museum
cc: Madhoolica Dear
President Indo-American Heritage Museum
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Applications submitted by January 31 will receive prompt consideration.
Please reference museum-employment.com when applying for this job.
This job posted by MERC from January 16 through April 17.
The last update to this page was 1-23-17.