Retail / Grounds / Maintenance / Other Positions
Liberty Science Center
Jersey City, New Jersey, USA
The Hospitality Associate (HA) helps makes the experience at Liberty Science Center one that our guests won’t forget. You are part of a team that is essential to fostering an environment that is enjoyable, conducive to interactive learning, and safe through engagement with everyone that walks through our exhibits. You are excited to interact with people from the Greater New York area and even around the world! You are talking to guests about the exhibits and addressing any needs or concerns. You are outgoing, amicable, responsible, and enthusiastic about working at Liberty Science Center! Hospitality Associates report to the Guest Engagement Coordinators.
- Consistently presents an eager, friendly, service-oriented demeanor
- Acts as an ambassador for Liberty Science Center consistent with our brand promise
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of exhibition, theater, event and program offerings
- Assists guests with entry and orientation to facility, theaters, exhibit areas and lunch spaces
- Contributes to preparation and shut down of all public spaces
- Facilitates the exploration of exhibits and engages guests in conversations about exhibit content
- Manages the operation of specific exhibits and theater experiences, including queuing and crowd control
- Actively seeks ways to enhance the experiences of guests within designated spaces
- Monitors condition and safety of public spaces, paying particular attention to the needs of guest
- Ensures the high quality presentation of public spaces: testing exhibits for functionality, ensuring appropriate appearance of assigned areas, monitoring cleanliness in corridors, etc
- Assists guests with emergency situations, as directed
- Contributes to the execution of special activities and programs, including set up and break down
- Responds appropriately to the needs of guests with special needs
- Mentors volunteer staff
- Participates in delivery of offsite experiences as needed
- Other duties as needed
Hospitality Associates have flexible schedules. The shifts are at least 4 hours from 8:45am to closing. Hospitality Associates should have availability 4 days out of the week (not including Monday). Scheduling may also include weekends, early mornings/evenings and holidays.
This position pays at the rate of $9.75 an hour and after a two months the rate increases to $10.25 an hour.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional communication skills
- Prior success in the delivery of quality customer service in fast-paced environments
- Creative and resourceful in problem solving
- Ability to work well as a team member or independently
- Enjoys working with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds
- High School diploma or equivalent is strongly desired
- 6 months or more of customer service experience
Liberty Science Center is located in a beautiful state park in Jersey City, New Jersey, with easy access to free parking, the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, and the NJ Path train. All employees have access to an on-site café, a terrace with stunning NYC views, and on-site yoga.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires employees be able to spend long periods of time standing and maneuvering quickly through crowds. Hospitality Associates have to climb and descend stairs and work in dark theater environments. Hospitality Associates have to be able to lift 35lbs. Hospitality Associates may be scheduled to work outdoor exhibits from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Hospitality Associates may also work in exhibits that are at least 18 feet above floor level.
Interested in applying? Please submit your resume and cover letter through our website www.lsc.org. Click on the "careers" link at the bottom of the page.
Liberty Science Center (LSC) is committed to a diverse workforce. It is LSC’s policy to provide equal treatment and consideration of all employees and qualified job applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin or ancestry, age, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, military service status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
Liberty Science Center is a non-smoking facility.
Please reference museum-employment.com when applying for this job.
This job posted by MERC from April 12 through July 12.
The last update to this page was 4-21-17.