Exhibit Design and Construction / Artist Positions
The Saint Louis Art Museum
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
REPORTS TO: Head Preparator
SUPERVISES: No one
SPECIFICATIONS: High school diploma required, at least 1-2 years’ experience in exhibit installation and preparation preferred; knowledge of fine arts, artistic materials and exhibit construction desired. Job requires good communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to lift heavy objects.
JOB PURPOSE: To provide for the safe handling, storage, movement, and installation of all types of works of art.
- Install works of art in galleries as required for all permanent and temporary exhibitions and gallery rotations at the Museum, working with Curators, Conservators, Engineers, Designers, and Cabinetmakers
- Move art objects, including their mounts, lifts, pedestals, vitrines, etc. within the Museum building under the direction of the Head Preparator and/or the Registration Staff for the purposes of gallery installations, acquisition meetings, packing and shipping, photography, and other events as assigned.
- See that works of art are properly placed in storage and that accurate locations for all art movement are reported.
- Ensure that platforms, pedestals, casework, and works of art on display in the Museum’s galleries are dusted on a regular basis.
- Assist in the pick-up and delivery of art objects outside the Museum, and with the installation of objects in private homes of donors and lenders.
- Wrap and pack art objects for storage or shipment Pack exhibition furniture for storage and transport to and from warehouse location.
- Organize material in off-site storage and assist registration staff in keeping accurate locations of this material as well as existing crates and other packing containers.
- Prepare exhibition furniture for display by ensuring that pedestals/ casework are properly covered using conservation approved materials to help in the long-term preservation of works of art.
- Develop familiarity with the collection and assistant registrations staff in recording specialized handling or installation needs for various works of art
- Assist in the continued development and improvement of current installation procedures
- Assist Head Preparator in planning and implementing upcoming work assignments; also helps to make sure that workspaces are well organized and also well supplied.
- May be responsible for installation projects as assigned by the Head Preparator
- May serve as team leader in the absence of the Head Preparator
- Special projects as assigned.
The above statements of this job description describe the general duties and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They do not claim to describe all of the functions of this position. Employees may be assigned other duties and the essential functions may change or be changed from time to time.
THE SAINT LOUIS ART MUSEUM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Title Revised: 10/2006
Please reference museum-employment.com when applying for this job.
This job posted by MERC from April 14 through July 14.
The last update to this page was 4-21-17.